Pages

Wednesday 9 October 2013

Tissues at the ready for the first public performance!

I know it's pathetic but I always well up whenever my boys are taking part in a school performance. It really doesn't matter how small a part or how mundane the event each and every one is a special memory.

A1 is past the nativity plays, harvest festivals and so on. It's all football and rugby matches now and I'm not quite so bad that I sob with pride through those.

But as I dashed out the door yesterday for A2's very first Harvest Festival I made sure I grabbed a handful of tissues just in case.

He's only been at school, along with all his Reception class friends, for just over four weeks and he was really excited about being allowed to join in with the whole school at the local church.

As I took my place in the church, carefully positioned to one side - my thinking that if I couldn't see A2 properly I'd be fine - I was all set for 30 minutes of charming singing and speaking by other people's children.

What I hadn't expected was that the Reception class was going to sit just to the side and I had a perfect view of A2 walking down the aisle, waving excitedly at me when he spotted me and trying to wriggle across the pew for a kiss and a cuddle. When I tried to encourage him to carry on walking with his friends he just grabbed my hand and kissed it. So sweet!

And throughout the whole performance, there he was jigging along to the music, singing the odd word when he could remember them and turning round to give me a big beaming smile. He's a monster at times but, boy, he can be gorgeous too!

I didn't sob. Honestly, I didn't! But one of those beaming smiles meant just for me really brought a lump to my throat and almost set me off. That's my first proud mummy moment now that he's at school - and here's to many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment