Pages

Sunday 1 September 2013

The countdown to the first day at school

The countdown has really started now that we're in September!

Just two more days and my youngest son starts school. He can't wait which is great. I've been looking forward to it for most of the year and now that it is finally upon us I am starting to get a little wobbly about it.

Yes, I'm going to have more time to get work done without interruption but, actually, I'm going to miss that little voice piping up and insisting I play lightsabers or go on a treasure hunt in the garden.

A2 is almost beside himself with excitement. His enthusiasm is in marked contrast to his older brother's cynicism. A1, aged 13, has adopted a been there, seen it all attitude and remarks every so often that it's all a con. It seems like great fun until you've been there a while and then they make you work, he has told his little brother. Fortunately, Angus ignores him.

I know I'm not alone. There must be thousands of mums sending their youngest child off for their first day of school this coming week with lumps in their throats.

Like me, you'll have been sitting labelling clothes, school bags, shoes, anything they might take off and lose, filling out those seemingly endless forms that school just has to have before the first day of term and feeling a little bit sick about sending the little one out into the big wide world.

I know it's silly. A2 has been going to nursery since before his first birthday. He's a gregarious, social child who just can't wait to start learning how to read, write and do more maths. And for the first week and a half he'll only be at school in the morning so there's plenty of time for lightsaber duels when he comes home.

Right, I'd better go and finish off those forms and labels now because I know the one thing I forget to label will be the first thing he loses!

No comments:

Post a Comment